In today’s technological world, you probably think of Java when you hear the word programming. In fact, Java is one of the most widely used programming and development languages, and it is used to create a wide range of applications.
Java has unquestionably established itself as one of the most popular programming languages and computing platforms for web development applications, which started testing frameworks for Java.
The fact that cross-browser testing is necessary to improve the user experience of your application is no longer a foreign concept. Enhanced knowledge of well-known and highly regarded testing frameworks can help you develop a new app.
What is the purpose of a Testing Framework?
A framework is a constructive collection of various concepts, guidelines, standards, principles, processes, and rules used to achieve the desired results systematically.
Testing frameworks provide benefits that can take in various forms, such as ease of coding, reliability, understandability, reducing the possibility of making an error, increasing speed, and lowering the cost involved.
List of 7 Best Testing Frameworks for Java
Listed below are the most helpful and top testing frameworks for Java that you can use to advance your profession and learning skills.
One of the greatest Java testing frameworks that support BDD is Jbehave. It is also frequently used in conjunction with Selenium drivers. The Behavior Driven Development (BDD) aims to make the Java testing experience more insightful and accessible to both beginners and experts. Moreover, this includes a reporting feature, which means that reports can be generated in XML, HTML, or Text format.
One of the best ways to use this Java testing framework is to integrate it with Eclipse. You should have JDK1.7 and higher, as well as any Eclipse IDE (integrated development environment) version higher than Indigo.
Also, the system requires the use of various jar files like:
- Junit-4.1.0.jar \sJbehave-core-3.8.jar \sFreemarker-2.3.9.jar \sPlexus-utils-1.1.jar
Integrating behavior-driven development tools (BDD), Serenity also offers an open-source platform. It is especially useful for making automated acceptance and regression tests easier to write. Serenity assists you in creating descriptive testing reports. Furthermore, it helps you write clear and well-ordered acceptance criteria for your projects.
Since the automated framework is entirely Java-based, you will undoubtedly require knowledge of Java or another object-oriented programming language.
Aside from that, your system will require:
- JDK 5 or higher is required.
- Maven 3.0 or a more recent high version.
- An Integrated Development Environment (IDE) tool – such as Eclipse or Maven – is generally preferred by all programmers or developers because it is simple to use.
One of the most popular Java unit test frameworks, JUnit is an open-source regression testing framework used primarily by expert software developers to perform unit testing, accelerate programming, and improve code quality in Java. The primary goal of introducing this framework is to enable Java developers to script and execute repeated test cases.
This Java unit testing framework is tightly integrated with Selenium WebDriver. You Should comply with the following prerequisites:
- You should have the most recent JDK version installed on your system.
- (Optional) The $JUNIT HOME/src. jar file should be unzipped.
- Have extensive knowledge and expertise in app development in an object-oriented language, particularly Java programming.
- Install the latest JUnit version and configure the environment.
This testing framework is also free and open source for web applications. With its cross-platform and cross-browser functionality, Selenium also serves as a foundation for many other testing tools.
In addition, Selenium is extremely adaptable through a diverse set of libraries and APIs to meet the needs and demands of everyone. Selenium is favored by testers because it allows for the creation of more advanced test scripts to meet varying degrees of complexity.
You will also need to be familiar with Java or other object-oriented programming languages to use this testing framework. Also, you will be required to have the following items at your workstation:
- JDK 5 or a more recent version
- Installed Maven 3.0 or other versions
- All programmers or developers prefer an Integrated Development Environment (IDE) tool, such as Eclipse or Maven, because it is simple to use.
TestNG is one of the most widely used and powerful Java testing frameworks for integration, functional, and unit testing. It is inspired by the other two prominent frameworks – JUnit and NUnit – but new features. This framework does not disappoint in demonstrating its testing strength, as implied by its name, where NG stands for Next Generation.
The TestNG and JUnit are both Java-based frameworks for writing tests and analyzing results. If the testing is successful, you will see a green bar; otherwise, you will see a red bar.
The Java-based framework assists developers with fundamental features such as grouping, sequencing, and parameterization. This makes the most recent test cases adaptable and eliminates the flaws of previous frameworks. You will need the following items to install TestNG:
- Installed a recent version of JDK on your system
- Eclipse’s most recent version.
- Understanding and experience with Java or another object-oriented programming language.
Mockito is a Java-based open-source behavior-driven testing framework. The main feature of this framework is that mock objects are automatically created. Therefore, there is no need to develop them explicitly.
- Have JDK installed in your system
- Download the recent version of the JUnit jar file
Creators of Selenium Thoughtworks have released a new Java testing framework for performing automated web app testing, Gauge. Like the other testing frameworks, Gauge is an open-source and free Java test automation framework. It reduces the stress of acceptance testing by requiring less code involvement. It is a popular Java testing framework in the mobile website testing category of a tech stack.
- Maven should be downloaded and installed.
- Microsoft Windows 10 or higher is the recommended operating system.
- RAM should be set to 512 MB (minimum.)
- If you are running the test from CMD/Terminal, you must configure the Gauge plugin with your Integrated Development Environment (IDE) or install the Gauge framework.
To conclude, developers need to be highly skilled in software testing and have a thorough understanding of testing. Having the proper knowledge on testing frameworks, expert Java developers can be distinguished from inexperienced developers.
The seven best Java testing frameworks discussed above are highly advisable for developers all over the world who want to get closer to perfection. These testing frameworks will make testing an application straightforward for you.